Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The future

I spend a lot of time thinking about how I am perceived. Being an American probably means I am using more energy, eating more food, and buying more stuff than my European counterpart. It's not exactly my fault, I am trying to cut back. Admitting you have a problem is the first part of therapy. As a country we need to step back and examine our priorities. Americans need to buy less and stop referring to themselves as consumers. Buying less plastic junk will also mean that people will have to rethink their work: does my job have a place in a sustainable future economy? I believe we are going to move back to agriculture eventually, organic agriculture to be precise. I also believe people are going to be driving a lot less than they are now. This concept should be embraced. People should relocate close to their workplaces, library, grocery store. The new model will be central cities as well as small villages surrounded by farmland. The new cities will be walkable as well as cycling friendly.

No comments: